Saturday, June 20, 2009

Don't Jump to the Conclusions too Early (Dedicated to Dr Rakesh Singh)





The write-up is dedicated to Dr Rakesh Singh - the Economics professor of Term-1 at Great Lakes. The first lecture was just an introoduction session where he wanted to know about the expectation of MBA crowd. I thought the lectures will be great as no one else has dedicated his lecture in this way.
For next few lecture I did full pre-reads and expected that I would learn a lot more from the lecture but utter dismay happened when he gave big assignments, taught a little in class and asked questions when people were not even much aware of the financial terms. Probably. his expectation were too high. My interest in economics was going down day by day. Finally when I was required to give the feedback where I gave the worst feedback, as I didn't add much of a value to my perspective of economics. 
Point to be noted - there were 3 more lectures remaining when I gave my feedback. Those 3 lectures were the total transformation. In these 3 lecture, Dr Rakesh Singh taught so well that it changed my total perception about him. Whatever he taught was so crystal clear and thought provoking that I read and googled to know more about subjects he taught in the lecture. He didn't tell just the concepts but he taught the ideas, real application, practical utility of economics which were truly necessary for creating interest and boggle the mind. 
Finally the last lecture - "The Story of India (Economical)" was truly captivating. The way he narrated the story of India was highly touching and emotional for me. I felt like as if I am really present when the Indian story was getting written. The way he connected geo, political, cultural, social, technological, global perspectives to the economics of India and also the way he compared Indian economy to other economies of the world was just so real and absorbing. Sometimes, I felt why the hell I am following the same mundane things what everyone is doing. There is so much to do for India, for our people, for our villages. The place called "India" as well as "Bharat" (as Dr Rakesh Singh divided India into urban and rural respectively) is so much of full of opportunities yet we are not able to utilize them. I may never forget this session.The lecture was full of commitment, honesty of thoughts and fact/figures. 
Probably I have got interest in economics too. Yesterday I read an article in Economic Times about "India WPI going negative". However I forgot WPI when it was taught initially (because of no interest creation that time) but just because of the getting a passion to know about India from depth. I googled and tried to understand all economical terms (WPI too) of the article and finally interpreted it well. Truly, it's just the passion that drives not the lectures.


Hats off to you, Sir. I think you exceeded our "expectations" and I am your ardent FAN from now onwards. I apologize for coming to conclusion and perception about you so early. It's the learning for me. Hope you will 
forgive. Thankfully, I have changed your old feedback with a new feedback and saved myself from a big blunder. :)


PS: 

Dr Rakesh Singh's blog (hope people may be interested)
Books by Dr. Rakesh Singh 

No comments: