Friday, June 19, 2009

My 2 Minutes Presentation

2 min | Solo speaker | One speech | Patriots | NO PowerPoint :(
Today was my first solo presentation at Great Lakes. It was for Business Communication where I was required to speak for 2 minutes in front of the whole class on any topic. I am not a good speaker and my mind processor is too slow in words-generation on stage that even 2 minutes looks to be a life to complete...i hope stage fearing people must be knowing what i am talking about...probably that's the reason that I write blog instead of speaking publicly...LOLzzzz...anyways hope my public speaking fear will be removed, which will be one of the takeaways of my MBA from Great Lakes...(so sure :D).

Choosing a relevant topic was truly difficult task. The aim was that the topic should be able to interest people, people should have fun and most importantly they should remember the speech forever. 
I short listed few of the topics like: 
Experiences kind: Trekking, Himalayan Expedition, Biking, Entrepreneurial, Blogging
Informative kind: RTI, YHAI, 
Demonstrative: CPR

Unfortunately, I didn't want to tell about my trekking, biking, blogging, entrepreneurial experience to MBA junta because experience not delivered properly may become a failure. Moreover, people already told their hell lot of experience. 

Informative was ok but people don't show much interest in information after IT revolution because they have google which is much smarter than me.



I still remember my training of CPR (first aid technique) in 2005 in MindTree Consulting where the speech for training was highly hypnotizing. The speech was so effective and well delivered that even now I remember CPR and its concept. Finally I targeted the "new segment" (as in marketing :D),i.e. the demonstrative style of presentation which looked to be unique to me. I chose CPR as my topic and googled each and everything  about it. The idea was to have a Doll with me on which I would be showing CPR technique.
   
How to do CPR?


Downloaded material 1 day before and in the evening before the day of presentation made a draft structure of the presentation. Went to Bharat to present it while it was in draft version. The ideas were not well connected during that time, but even then Bharat understood the overall presentation and gave his invaluable feedbacks. He told me to structure it properly and get ideas in a better flow. In night i collected the Krithika's Doll from Akansha. 

During night, drafted a final version of my speech and this time victimized Mohit to listen me, who came for tea-session at 2 AM. Practiced it 3-4 times at around 3:00 AM. (Insomniatic, Biological cycle distrubances). Before going for the class, practiced it 4-5 times alone and once in front of Bharat again who was highly impressed with a phenomenol improvement in my speech. He gave few more tips which i kept in mind. It looks to be a good preparation overall.


The final Show

Finally in class, before getting my number, I don't know, suddenly my heart strted beating badly...Stage Fear was creeping inside me again...huh!!! My turn came, I reached on stage, class laughed, murmured because of doll with me. 




Took the mic and tried to anchor it, but damn...mic just din't want to fit inside my pocket...tension building up...finally it tucked somewhere...huh..
Started my presentation as expected...took it till the end with Sara (my doll's name) smoothly...the practiced work...but in the end of my speech I just forgot the  punch line which has said by Albert Einstein...phew...what the heck...why just the last line...I already told junta - "As Einstein has righly said - "....mow what i dont remember whot he said...I ultimately blabbered something...which only few people understood and they told it was right... :)...sheer Serendipity...LOLzzz

Overall, I think presentation was received well from audience. In fact Aravind was so excited that he started singing - Sara Sara (name of my doll)...LOLzzz...other guys were amused by my demo (or rather say inappropriate actions), however few ladies felt offended without any reason. The purpose to keep presentation interesting and unforgettable has been achieved. People are still talking about "Sara" - the doll...hope such fun will keep going on...:)


Thanks to the good preparation and help by my friends...hope to perform same in future too...complimenting and patting back myself as we generally do before going for any Himalayan expedition -- "Sabash, Sabash, Sabash". (Ask me if u want to know how we do...it's fun)



Coming to most important part for me


Class Feedback:
Positives: Great Idea (Yes, that was, as in Marketing we say - "Differentiation"), Confident (Ooooo it's a great news...i was feeling so nervous inside...thankfully it never came outside...), Informative, Well prepared, Demo was a great show

Delta (I don't assume that there is anything negative in a feedback): Bad closing (Forgot the punch line in the end...so bad :( ), Left side faced only (oh dint thought about it), Pronunciation (few words I said in my Desi language...Lolzzz...need to improve truly), making the Doll as secretary does not fit in such a serios topic (hmmm...point taken), the speech was becoming vulgar at times (mmm not sure if I tried to enact any vulgarity...but may be CPR's actions by me looked like that...oops people were thinking about Smooch, Intercourse...what a point...now i think i am totally successful...LOLzzzz)



Special thanks to Bharat (consultant), Mohit (influencer), Akansha (doll deliverer), Krithika(doll owner), Aravind (for singing Sara) and all audience for valuable feedback.



Finally  putting the presentation if it may be useful for someone:

Hello friends this is varun  and meet my beautiful secretary - Sara. Together we will demonstrate ABCs of CPR.
Sara can you please lay down.
CPR means Cardio Vascular Pulmonary Resuscitation.  It’s life saving technique in which you can help a person who has stopped breathing, and whose heart may have stopped beating. Thousands of precious lives are lost every year due to cardiac arrests, electrocution, accidents.  Many of them could be saved just by giving CPR at right time.
I will come to demonstration part which is as simple as ABC in which A is Airway, B is Breathing, C is Circulation. So, Sara, the victim have got cardiac arrest and she is unconscious.
A - AIRWAY
·         Shake victim gently and shout "are you okay?" (use doll)
·         If no response, call emergency medical system -112 or 101 then,
·         Tilt forehead back and lift chin carefully to open victims' airway (show on self)
B - BREATHING
·         Look, listen, and feel for breathing (make expressions for all)
·         Then we will give the “Kiss of Life”. (hand gesture for quotes)
·         If not breathing, pinch victim's nose closed and give 2 full breaths into victim's mouth (show one breathing demo)
·         Make sure that the chest rise while giving the breaths.
C - CIRCULATION
·         Check pulse (use Doll)
·         If there is no pulse, begin chest compressions.
·         For it hold your hands like this (show the crossed hand),
·         Keep elbows straight (show straight elbows)
·         Put hand on sternum which is nothing but the bone where all your rib bones converge (tell thru rib and chest)
·         Depress sternum 1.5 to 2 inches. (while demo)
·         Perform 15 compressions to every 2 breaths.
·         2 compressions per second.
·         check for return of pulse every minute.
When performing CPR, keep in mind that the person you are working on is clinically dead: You cannot make the situation any worse.
Nothing could be great than saving someone by giving the kiss of life.
Albert Einstein has said: “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.”
Thank you!!!
Sara,  wake up…Sara…(lighter note)
END of speech!!!

-----------------------------


8 comments:

shailuji said...

Hmmm...gud one. Will keep in mind.

Varun said...

Thanks Shailu!!!

Unknown said...

I didn't like the presentation..you didn't let us meet Sara.. i know she was alive...

If only u had let us meet her..i would have put my actual feedback. But now when you have deserted your friends for your new secretary (which i feel is your present GF and future GF of the most eligible bachelor of our college) ...I would just say..that presentation was just about Ok.. :-)

Sara Sara Sara Sara Sara

bharti said...

verrrrry nicely presented. i njoyed it. gud.

Varun said...

hey thanks Abhishek for such a beautiful comments...:)

Surely I will let u meet my Sara before I pass it back to Ladies Hostel from where she came...:D

Varun said...

thanks Bharti!!!

Neeraj Kumar said...

Oye Khandu .. the ppt seems to have rocked .. i shd hv been thr to enjoy this.. Best of Luck to all ur future "phodu" ppts .. Enjy ur stay at Great lakes ...Hope to see a Future Entrepreneur .. ;)

-- Neeraj

Sushobhit said...

Hey Khandu Man!! you know what... it reminds me of your first presentation in DEI on physics, where you said in last - "Jusshht for example................. thank you" !!!!

But this one seems to have other stuff also likes of Sara, anyways best of luck for future presentations and good luck.